Film Fashion Friday: Ghostbusters

I have not done one of these posts for a very long time, and honestly I feel like I should be putting this on my Reel Film Fatale blog.. but it’s a little more personal I guess, so it’s going here.

Never, ever doubt the power of female representation on screen.

I (like everyone else) have periods where I feel down and unsure of myself. Mostly my down periods come from feeling as if I’m a big ol’ weirdo.

I don’t care about things a lot of people I love care about… and I care about other stuff way too much. Sometimes I actively isolate myself in this fashion because I’m extremely stubborn and perverse. It brings me huge amounts satisfaction to be difficult, but then it catches up to me and I get tired.

I know this feeling is applicable to 90% of the people in this world (the other 10% are dogs), sometimes you forget about everyone else and just get stuck in your own little well of self pity. Poor me, I’m so weird and alone. Wah wah wah.

You know what made me feel better most recently? The new Ghostbusters.

Specifically, Kate McKinnon as eccentric engineer Dr. Jillian Holtzmann, or Holtz. Her performance was by far the standout of the otherwise throughly enjoyable, but unremarkable film.

It’s funny, before I had even seen the trailer for GB, I had several friends message me and tell me the character reminded them a lot of me. So of course I went in ready to hate her and the film. But I don’t, I love her. (ME, ME, ME –  DID I MENTION, ME?)

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 5.06.29 PM

 

She is utterly, and unapologetically her insane self and I almost teared up with gratitude the people were comparing me to her. This was the ultimate compliment and the little kick I needed to remind me that it’s okay to be yourself.

Sorry, I didn’t mean this to get all eat, pray, love on you… but I wanted to use this as a personal example of the power of positive and varied female representations. The more space being made for women characters, the more varied their representations can be, the more people they can affect positively. It’s that simple.

Here’s Paul Feig talking about just this on #theFeedSBS

Okay, so this is film fashion I’m supposed to be talking about. In honour of my new love, here’s how to dress like Dr. Jillian Holtzmann.

Her style can be summed up as a unique combo of eclectic, androgynous, steampunk chic. So this will be simple, huh?

We’re going for this here look.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 5.34.29 PM

Let’s start with the most obvious, the Steampunk googles. They are available here from DiagonElia for £23.00.

Next let’s get a pair of grungy coveralls all up on you.

Personally, I am a fan of these Vintage Dark Blue Denim Dungarees, available here from ZizzisWardrobe for £22.00. Do splatter with a bit of paint for that more authentic ‘I’m getting shit done’ look. 

Pair it with an olive green sports bra or crop top underneath and you are on to a good start.

Next up, the boots!

I like these uni-sex one’s from jedibutterfly for £24.56

Brrr, it’s chilly out. You’s better grab your leather jacket!
I love this one from brownbagvintage for £84.41 – bit steep but most leather jackets worth their salt will be.

 

And finally, you need your driving gloves. Obviously.

These ones from KucLeatherGoods will get the job done for £29.93.

 

There you go, now you’re ready to go out, smash the patriarchy and bust some ghosts.

Happy Friday, doll babies xx

 

 

 

 

About Hol Roy (53 Articles)
Feminsit pop culture addict, writing about feminist pop culture.

1 Comment on Film Fashion Friday: Ghostbusters

  1. Linn Cameron // July 17, 2016 at 4:17 am //

    love it!

Tell me what you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: